Wednesday 23 April 2014

It's Getting Closer...

Evening campers!

Got my 'Welcome' email from Curtis Brown on Tuesday which made me very excited indeed! It's getting ever closer now and I have to keep reminding myself that I have actually got this far and in a short time I will be walking in to those offices on Haymarket, taking a seat in one of the conference rooms and talking about WRITING and BOOKS! The two things that make me happier than anything in the whole wide world. It's a dream come true, really and it's happening. I hope it doesn't sound like I'm bragging or 'banging on' but I've not been short of knocks lately and it's a relief for something to be going the right way for a change! 
   As mentioned before, there's fifteen of us on board - very much looking forward to meeting everybody and seeing what their books are about. During the course, we each have to submit two bits of our book: the opening chapters and then another part of our own choosing and because of this, I will definitely be going back to TPB and having a look at the opening again. From when I posted it on here in my first blog, it seemed to have a rather good reception so I think that bit's okay for now - now for the rest of it! I don't have to submit my stuff until June which is great because that gives me ample time and I don't plan on wasting a second of it!
   We also received the times we will have for one-on-one sessions with Erin Kelly and Anna Davis, the course leaders. Erin wrote The Poison Tree amongst others and Anna, an author herself is the director of Curtis Brown Creative. I can't believe how lucky we are to be having flipping one-on-one time with industry professionals as well as Howard Jacobson, Freya North and Sheila Crowley. The only word that is bouncing round my head right now is "lucky". 

To go with this new chapter in my life, I've decided to get fit and healthy once and for all. Lord knows if I'll stick to it long term, but it's got to that time of year when summer dresses are being bandied about in magazines and in shops and there's one I've spotted that I've fallen head over heels in love with. 


Now then. Those of you who know I have stumps instead of actual legs may laugh - and we all know I'm not going to look like the pretty lady in the picture but I'm going to try my damned hardest!! This is exactly what happened last year. I saw a dress, I dieted / exercised and got in to said dress just in time for my birthday:

(Look Sarah, you made it on to my blog!! ;))

Ideally, I'd like a gaw-jus figure like my girl Sarah up there but then that is down to doing Zumba pretty much every day (as well as a fabby actress, Sarah is a Zumba instructor and a fabulous one at that. Interested? Click here) and I think I'm far too lazy for that but we shall see. First step to tackle is the diet! Seriously, that was getting ever so slightly out of hand but it's all good because I'm on it (promise, Mum, I am!). 
   It's bloody difficult though - this afternoon I got a proper bitch on at work because I'd deprived myself chocolate which around 4pm which, as all you people who work in offices will understand, is pretty crucial. It's always either coffee or chocolate and I'm in the latter camp!

I hope you enjoyed the short story I posted on here the other day. I was rather proud of it. Even my Mother liked it and didn't really have any criticism - and trust me, that's hard to come by, though it is always constructive. 
   That isn't to say that it can't be worked on - of course it can - but as my first short story, I was *silently* a little proud of myself. Quite liked the story actually so I may continue it as a series exclusively for the blog - ya never know!!

Anywho, bored you enough now I expect, but as always thank you for reading and I hope you're enjoying these daft musings of mine. 

EG xxx



No comments:

Post a Comment